Monday, February 23, 2015

WGU Capstone and Capstone Proposal Done

Got official confirmation from TaskStream my Capstone passed. That makes the degree plan 125/125, graduation. YES!

Thoughts -- SBT1 -- Tech Writing
Tip 1: Ok, everyone...absolutely everyone says follow the rubric. DO IT. Don't be smart, don't assume the grader will find you satisfied the rubric buried in your paper. Simply follow the follow rubric using the template. It'll save you headaches. I had to resubmit my SBT1 due to failure to define objectives clearly. I had goals and deliverables, but my objectives (goals-->objectives-->deliverables) weren't clear. Resubmit and I passed.
Tip 2: if you have to make up a project (I did), do something you are good at and tie it back to your degree. I'm a network goober at heart, but my degree is IT Security. I did a pseudo-network redesign for pseudo company. Securing the edge was only part of the solution. Anyhow, you don't have to make the project explicitly about your degree program. I was going to do a wireless security project, but it was going to get out of control quickly. Not a good idea. You have to incorporate your emphasis somewhere, and that's it. Don't make it hard. Its a lot of writing as it is.
Tip 3: Yes, it is the department of redundancy department. You will feel like you are repeating yourself throughout. Just the nature of the beast. stick to the template. If you choose to review the capstones, don't over-analyze. Some are 3 years old, some don't have the same layout as the current templates. Use the current template.
Tip 4: have someone else read your paper. Doesn't matter if they are technical our not. Just need a grammar and structure check. You've read it too much. you know what you mean to say. they don't. let 'em read it and fix it. You aren't perfect. I'm not. No one is. Let your best friend, spouse, whoever help on the review. Plus it'll count on your 10 items list if you do it right.

RGT1 -- capstone
This is fairly straightforward. Don't overthink it. Do the conversion as given, and write the new sections. I did mine in 2 days (8 hours each). Most of the heavy lifting is in the SBT1. I created pseudo network diagrams, network schemes, etc. Dreaming that up took 4 hours. I got a 4 on the rubric for the add-ons. I dunno if the depth of information helped, but I'm going to guess it does. Make sure you had some depth to the project. SBT1 is just a dream. RGT1 is real. Make it tangible. Produce the paperwork you would for a job. Network diagrams, IP info, whatever your boss or you'd want your junior engineers to have after you were done. Make it come to life. And if you don't have the software, grab the timebombed versions and install them. (office/visio).

Anyhow that's it. i'm done. good luck on your adventures.

1 comment:

  1. I liked the way you managed to write about the topic in perfect sequence. Very nice post. Thanks for sharing.
    capstone project help

    ReplyDelete